IoT (Internet of Things) will play a big role in the way forward
IoT and the Connectivity, amongst other technologies, will start playing big roles in the way forward. Soon “Smart” offices, cities, health, sports facilities and other “smart” possibilities, that have not yet even been contemplated, will become the norm.
Yet most medium to large businesses in South Africa aren’t considering how to leverage IoT. Business sectors like retail, renewable resources, industrial, town-planning, city and waste management. David Godfrey, CEO of iConnect says, “In South Africa, IoT hasn’t had the volume of adoption we see in other countries and therefore isn’t currently a reality. Yet it could be vital to solving some of our pressing challenges! Yes, we can take cues from how its possibilities are leveraged and defined internationally. But what would be even better is for South Africa to start helping to lead the way.”
Time to define and get specific about IoT’s possibilities, for your business:
- It’s the future of technology and will change how businesses operate.
- It will make the way we do business and our own lives, significantly more efficient.
- In London, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo and Seoul, it’s being used to run refuse management and other municipal services. We can conduct case studies to leverage and apply these examples, to the South African framework.
- IoT’s intelligent solutions could bring about smart electric grids that help SA’s crisis and manage renewable resources.
- It can help manage traffic flow and monitor potholes/hazards on our roads.
- Machine-monitoring sensors; used in factories, plants and warehouses. Sensors for monitoring stock levels and maintenance requirements could revolutionise SA industries.
- A curb on corruption could become a reality through the power of IoT. This is because it can be used to monitor systems and human behaviour.
One hurdle to IoT in SA
Data transfer, security and storage are some remaining challenges in SA. Data used in IoT devices and infrastructure is needing safe and effective storage. IoT also requires fast, reliable connectivity, therefore every personal device and business in the country will need to be connected to the internet. Good, stable and secure connections for effective communication, data collection and analysis to happen.
Three fast facts according to Forbes.com
- The more interactions you have with your customers; the more data you can collect, and insights you can derive in order to use to create competitive strategies.
- IoT supports remote working, which will improve job satisfaction and increase job efficiency and quality.
- Your customers will have access to IoT in their personal lives, which means they’ll expect an IoT experience when dealing with your company.